Today, March 17, Saint Patrick is celebrated to commemorate the death of Saint Patrick, Christian missionary and patron saint of Ireland, a date that is being celebrated in more and more countries. The streets are dyed green, everyone dresses in this color, they dress up as elves or wear the famous clover symbol.
Irish names have a very special personality, so if you are looking for a name for your baby , we leave you some Irish names for girls and boys that we have found adorable for your little elves. Let yourself be inspired by Irish culture.
Curiosities about Irish names
According to Irish tradition, the eldest son is named after his paternal grandfather, the second son after his maternal grandfather, the third after his father, and the fourth after the father’s elder brother.
In the case of girls, the eldest daughter is named after her maternal grandmother, the second after her paternal grandmother, the third bears the same name as her mother, and the fourth after the mother’s older sister.
Although this custom is no longer strictly followed, it is common for the first children to bear the name of a relative.
And another curiosity is that Saint Patrick was not actually an Irishman named Patricio (Patrick). Ireland’s patron saint was born Maewyn Succat and was actually British.
Irish girl names
- Adara : significat “belleza”
- Aíne : means “glory, splendor”
- Alana or Alannah : means “girl”
- Alona : means “dear girl”
- Amy: means: “beloved”
- Anna: Variant of the Hebrew name Channah, meaning “grace” or “favor.”
- Arlene: means “promise”
- Brianna: means daughter of the nobility, girl of the nobility, princess, noble, strong.
- Caitlín: variante de Catalina
- Face: means “friend”
- Ciara: means “brunette”. Kiara, Kiera, Kyra, Keera variants
- Deidre : means “melancholy”
- Enya: means “little fire”
- Erin: modified form of the goddess Éire who inhabited and gave Ireland its name
- Fiona: significa “blanco”
- Maire o Moira : Irish variant of Mary, means “beloved of God, exalted, eminent”
- Nessa : means “ambitious”
- Nora: means “honor”
- Sinéad: means Joan
- Tara or Teamhair – is the most legendary hill in Ireland.
Irish boy names
- Aidan: means “fire”
- Brendan: You mean “the prince” ?
- Brian : means “noble, royal, tall, strong”
- Callum: significa “paloma”
- Cyan: means “legendary”
- Cillian – was the name of an Irish saint who is patron saint of several Irish localities
- Colin: can mean cub or little bear
- Conan: means “little warrior”
- Connor: comes from the Irish ‘Conchúr’, which is short for ‘Conchubhar’ which means ‘dog lover’
- Cormac : means “pure son”
- Darren: significa “pequeño roble”
- Declan: means “full of kindness”
- Dugan: means “black, dark, brown skin”
- Finbar : means “fair-haired”
- Kevin : means nice, kind, noble
- Liam – Biblical name, variant of William, means “strong protector”
- Lorcan: significa “pequeño valiente”
- Oscar : means “friend of the deer”
- Rowan : means little redhead
- Rory : means “red-haired king”
- Ronan : means “little seal”
- Ryan : means little king
- Sullivan : means “little dark-eyed”