The health sector is experiencing a true revolution thanks to information and communication technologies. In Spain, with an increasingly aging population and an increase in chronic pathologies, it is essential to bet on Digital Health. The application of eHealth improves health care and increases patient satisfaction, while developing a new industrial sector with high added value that demands highly qualified professionals .
What is eHealth?
Digital Health or eHealth refers to the application of ICT in the health sector to provide it with innovative resources that allow more efficient management that improves the satisfaction and quality of life of patients . It speeds up the operation of the health system, automates processes, reduces costs and minimizes human errors.
eHealth also facilitates medical decision-making by helping to detect diseases early and identifying the optimal treatments for each patient. In fact, it makes it possible to better monitor cases and record their evolution in real time , also facilitating access to health services while avoiding unnecessary travel, which results in more accessible and equitable health care.
Likewise, the massive use and strong penetration of mobile technologies and social networks allows the creation of channels for reaching society to apply medical protocols and Public Health policies that until now could only be applied as part of medical provision .
Different practical applications of Digital Health
- Telemedicine. This system allows remote consultations , which saves time, costs and travel for both doctors and patients. In the long run, it facilitates the continuity of treatment, optimizes health resources and improves health management.
- apps. Mobile applications focused on health allow improving lifestyle habits and facilitate the management of different diseases by providing information and health resources, medication control systems that improve therapeutic adherence, as well as mechanisms for monitoring symptoms and registering parameters. physicians to facilitate self-care.
- Electronic medical record. The digitalization of the medical history allows centralizing the information, so that the patient can share it safely and the medical staff can access it at any time.
- Wearables. Smart accessories, such as activity bracelets, glasses or even clothing, are already capable of monitoring different physiological parameters, such as heart rate or blood oxygen level, to monitor our physical condition.
- Augmented reality. This technology allows you to view organs in 3D, consult the patient’s tests in real time or plan the surgical approach. It is also used in the practical training of health professionals, the rehabilitation of patients and the treatment of psychological disorders such as phobias.
- Big Data and Artificial Intelligence. Both technologies are used to process the immense amount of data produced by the health sector with the aim of detecting risk factors, performing predictive analysis to arrive at an early diagnosis, better understanding the progress of diseases or checking the effectiveness of techniques and treatments. They also make it possible to detect patterns and anomalies in health services, as well as to identify the situations that usually generate claims.
The path of eHealth in Spain
In Spain, the Public Health digitization process is led by the Ministry of Health, with the support of all agents in the sector . It would be necessary to create a National Center for Digital Health and a Permanent Commission in the Interterritorial Health Council to launch a comprehensive, preventive, participatory and personalized assistance model in which Digital Health is recognized as a right of all citizens .
The implementation of eHealth in Spain will focus on three key areas: precision medicine, population health management and a comprehensive patient-centered system. The ultimate goal is to humanize technology so that more quality time can be spent on patient care .
In addition to financing projects that incorporate ICTs in health, it will also be necessary to carry out an intense training effort for managers and clinical professionals in the area of eHealth. If you don’t want to be left behind, with our Master’s in Public Health you will be able to prepare yourself to lead teams or programs in Public Health work environments in the public or private sector, as well as occupy specialist positions in Public Health in pharmaceutical, biotechnology, food or other companies. environmental.